Why a motivation letter?
The obligatory documentation includes a strong letter of motivation. This letter is extremely important in the selection of ICM grantees because it provides important information about who you are as a person. Other than some of the standardised documents, we really recommend you to pay close attention to this part of your application.
What points should I address?
The motivation letter should be concise and to the point. It has a maximum of 500 words and should include, in any case:
- Why you believe you are the right candidate for the exchange in terms of academic excellence and motivation
- What are your plans for the future, after you finished your ICM mobility, and whether you would like to continue to engage in research
- If and how that would fit in the larger cooperation between Groningen and your home university, in particular the potential for cooperation (e.g. sandwich PhD) in the longer term
- If relevant, why you cannot undertake this mobility without the support of a ICM scholarship
- Any other special circumstances you believe worthwhile mentioning