Why a motivation letter?
The obligatory documentation includes a strong letter of motivation. This letter is extremely important in the selection of ICM grantees because is provides important information about who you are as a person. Other than some of the standardised documents, we really recommend that you pay close attention to this part of your application.
What points should I address?
The motivation letter should be concise and to the point. It has a maximum of 500 words and should include, in any case:
- Why you believe you are the right candidate for the exchange in terms of academic excellence and motivation
- What impact will the mobility have on you and, if you consider it applicable, your environment
- What are your plans for the future, after you finished your ICM mobility, and whether you would like to continue to engage in research
- If and how that would fit in the larger cooperation between Groningen and USP, in particular the potential for cooperation (e.g. sandwich PhD) in the longer term
- If relevant, why you cannot undertake this mobility without the support of a ICM scholarship
- Any other special circumstances you believe worthwhile mentioning
We request that as an USP applicant you use this template for your letter of motivation.